Saturday, January 1, 2011

winter riding

until a few years ago i cycled through the snow.
there's something about succeeding against all odds that goes with completing a journey on two wheels in the depths of winter.
then again there's something about life that holds a real attraction for me.
so the last deep snow ride i took along a major street that resulted in three "drops" for me, was also my last.
there are a couple of factors that play into the decision.
one is the amount of time it takes for my body to recover from such an event.

time was it took next to no time.
now it seems like days, then weeks pass and i can still feel the damage.
the other factor is that i share the road with cars. cars doing their best to get themselves to wherever they're going.
dealing with a cyclist struggling along, weaving and wobbling and grinding to a halt in the deeper drifts is not entirely fair.

so i love this image.
the boys pegging the guy riding past with snowballs.
as if he hasn't got enough on his plate!

alan lowndes cyclist in the snow

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I haven't visited you here yet. Biking in the snow? I used to bike 20 miles a day, except in the winter, when I would swim instead.

    I once biked around the island of Shikoku, Japan. Someday I will have to write about that.
    I haven't done any serious biking for 18 years... now I am feeling nostalgic, perhaps it is time to begin again. It is a new year after all.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete